Ico Traders wire furniture is made of steel, a durable, sturdy & sustainable resource that is easily recyclable. Our furniture is made to last, with an anti corrosion Dulux Zincshield base coat and a coloured powder coating finish for rust resistance and to protect your furniture from the elements. However steel can be susceptible to rust when left unprotected, or damaged. To keep your Ico Traders furniture in the best possible condition, please follow these instructions for use & maintenance.
Please take the greatest of care when unwrapping your furniture so as not to damage it in any way. Marks from knives and scissors, scratches from staples or from placing table tops on the ground, etc.
- Metal furniture is best cleaned using a soft cloth, water and mild, non-detergent soap, (it will clean without harming your furniture or the environment). Abrasive scrubbers or cleaners should not be
used as they can scratch the finish, potentially exposing the metal to rust-inducing moisture. For ingrained dirt, use window cleaner or a non-abrasive multi-purpose cleaner.
- When cleaning keep an eye out for scratches or any signs of rust, especially at furniture joints. Apply touch-up paint to scratches ASAP to prevent rust.
- Sunscreen & bird droppings can wear away your furniture’s protective finish & cause corrosion and permanent staining of your furniture and should be cleaned off as quickly as possible.
- Plastic sliders are attached to the feet of our furniture, to prevent any damage resulting from contact with the ground, which can sometimes be damp or harsh. We recommend that you replace any lost pads by ordering a new set from us.
- Just like a white T shirt, every little dirt mark or discolouration will show up on white furniture & a little discolouration where the water can sit is to be expected. It won’t cause any harm to the construction of the chair & it can be sprayed with a can of enamel spray paint from your local hardware store if you want.
- If rust begins to appear as a result of a scratch or bump, you should touch up as quickly as possible, using enamel paint, (which you can purchase from any hardware store). Parts can be further protected from the weather by spraying with WD-40 or CRC. This drives out any moisture and protects the iron.
- Iron does not react well to salt air, our beautiful but harsh New Zealand climate means we can not guarantee the furniture to be 100% spotless, especially if you live near the sea. If you do live close to the coast, or in an area of high rainfall, you may like to consider having your furniture
powdercoated with an extra layer to further prevent wear. We are happy to organise this for you.
- When not in use, we recommend you tilt your furniture, (chairs resting against the table and not placed upside down on them) to prevent water from pooling. Consider covering your furniture when not in use for long periods of time. Even if it can stand up to the elements, this will extend its life and make cleaning easier when the outdoor season begins. Make sure you use a breathable covering to avoid creating a mold incubator.
- The lifespan of your furniture will vary in relation to the conditions and type of use. To maximise the lifespan of your product, especially if you live in an area with a harsh climate, you may want to consider storing in a dry, well-ventilated place, over winter, ensuring it is protected from any knocks and bumps.
- To help protect the environment, please remember to take your packaging and any old unwanted furniture to your local waste disposal centre and recycle where possible.